httpd-dev mailing list archives

From George Cox <g...@gjvc.com>
Subject Re: Piped logger nightmares
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:58:13 GMT
* William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> [20070105 23:37] wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&sortby=date&revision=104019
>
> is a complete disaster to Win32 as-a-service.  It works fine from the
> command line, but the lack of stdout/stderr channels causes cmd.exe "in a
> service" appear to cause the CreateProcess of cmd.exe to implode.
>
> As I look at it, the choice to add another indirection between httpd and
> the pipe process adds some horrible resource issues to the server,
> especially with many, many separate rotated log files.  Also, this extra

I'm going to wade in here, and hopefully add something of value.  If I
don't, please flame as hard as you can etc.  I've written a module which
automatically rotates access logs.  It's called mod_log_access, and the
latest version is available at:

  http://www.gjvc.com/software/apache/modules/

It only does access logs, not error logs, for reasons  people on this list
will well understand, but if you have any preferences on how it should be
done, please let me know.  I would really like to see this (or something
like it) added to httpd-trunk/ and would be happy to maintain it.

Please reply off-list -- I don't mean to hijack the discussion.

best;

gjvc