httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <>
Subject Re: mod_memcache??
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:28:53 GMT
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 16:56:28 -0800
Paul Querna <> wrote:

> >> Comments?
> >
> > Sounds slightly analagous to mod_dbd: what I describe as a service
> > module in the book.  Ending config duplication sounds like a Good
> > Thing, for the same reasons as DBD.
> >
> > Couple of thoughts:
> >
> > * What's the system overhead of memcache?  Is it similar to DBM?
> Not sure what you mean... it mostly means lots of extra TCP sockets
> open all the time.

I mainly meant "so, we won't be repeating those mod_dbd design
decisions that were dictated by the fact that SQL queries are
inherently rather expensive".  Or might we?  With DBM, I could
answer that one authoritatively:-)

> > * I'm not really familiar with memcache, but the semantics look
> >   somewhat like DBM.  Would there be any mileage in supporting
> >   a DBM store in a unified functional API?
> It supports more things; Like timeouts and some other things like
> increment/decrement counters; It could be done on top of DBM, but I'm
> not really interested in it.

"On top of"?  As in the dbm+rpc implementation I hacked up many
years ago?  What I had in mind was just a common frontend.

Anyway, I'm not volunteering to do the hacking, so I'll shut up:-)

Nick Kew