httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <>
Subject Re: Large Resource Consumption by One User Access to mp3 File
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:30:28 GMT
Hi Greg,

According to your logs, each of the responses are 206 (Partial Content)
codes, which means the client requested only a range of the resource,
not the entire resource (see
for details).

It is unclear from your message how the Apache Service is stopping, or
if it recovers or crashes. If it is crashing, then a bug report would
be greatly appreciated. If it is simply becomming inaccessible for a
brief period, that sounds more likely to be underallocation of resources,
and the user support list will be the best place to address that.

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 08:17:09AM -0800, Greg Sims wrote:
> I originally posted this to the User Support forum and received no replies
> in over two weeks.  I appreciate your help with this in advance!
> The Apache Service is stopping as a result of a single user accessing one or
> two mp3 files.  I gathered some log data to detail the problem:
>  contains a log sequence that accesses one
> mp3 file by one user.
> is the mp3
> <>  being accesses which
> is almost 7 MB large.
> Normally I will only see one record in the access_log for a transfer like
> this one.  This transfer contains 30+ records over 12 minutes from the same
> user to the same file.  It may be that this user is one a system with
> limited buffer resources and/or a modem connection to the internet.
> is a server-status that the aftermath of
> all this.  Notice the number of workers that were allocated to this one
> user.
> This consumption of server resource by one user is unfair to everyone else
> trying to use http at the same time.  Is it possible to control resource
> allocation so that it is fair to all users?
> Thanks! Greg
> PS. The user is working on transferring a group of .mp3 files at the same
> time. This can be seen at  The server
> doesn't have much else going on which can be seen here

View raw message