httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: mod_memcache??
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 00:20:26 GMT
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:11:16 -0500
Brian Akins <brian.akins@turner.com> wrote:

> Basically, mod_memcache could have this config:
>
> MemCacheServer memcache1.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
> MemCacheServer memcache4.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
> MemCacheServer memcache10.turner.com:9020 min=8 smax=16 max=64 ttl=5
>
> or whatever.  This would end the config duplication between various
> modules. This module could also add memcache stats to /server-status
>
> Comments?

Sounds slightly analagous to mod_dbd: what I describe as a service
module in the book.  Ending config duplication sounds like a Good
Thing, for the same reasons as DBD.

Couple of thoughts:

* What's the system overhead of memcache?  Is it similar to DBM?
* I'm not really familiar with memcache, but the semantics look
  somewhat like DBM.  Would there be any mileage in supporting
  a DBM store in a unified functional API?
* Is it inherently thread-safe, or will you be needing a reslist
  or similar solution?

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/