httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Greg Sims" <g...@headingup.net>
Subject Large Resource Consumption by One User Access to mp3 File
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:38:21 GMT
I originally posted this to the user support list and received no feedback
in two weeks.  I appreciate your help with this in advance.

Our Apache/2.0.46 server is stopping as a result of a single user accessing
one of two mp3 files.  I gathered some log data to detail the problem:

http://raystedman.org/4204Ref.txt contains a log sequence for one mp3 file
by one user.

http://raystedman.org/mp3/4204.mp3 is the file being accessed which is
almost 7MB.

I normally only see one record in the logs per mp3 file transferred.  In
this case there are 30+ entries over 12 minutes in the logs for this one
transfer. It is likely this user has limited memory or is connected by modem
to the Internet.

http://raystedman.org/22Stat.txt is an extended server-status showing the
aftermath of all this.  Please note the number of workers that were
allocated to this one user.

This consumption of resource seems unfair to other users that are trying to
use the system at the same time.  Is it possible to control resource
allocation so that it is fair to all users?

Thanks! Greg