httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Scott MacVicar <scottmacvi...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Re: mod_cache+mod_rewrite behaviour
Date Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:55:59 GMT
Ruediger Pluem wrote:

> On 01/21/2007 04:09 PM, Scott MacVicar wrote:
>
>> We did use mod_expires but the Expires header was being passed on to the
>> client, mod_headers didn't appear to be able to unset this during tests.
>
> This is true, but what is the problem with passing the Expires header to the
> client? If you want to prevent the clients from requesting / revalidating the resource
> frequently you can simply set an expiration date far in the future (about a year).

True this would work but requires configuration on each of our web
servers, I'd also need to find an equivalent for our non-Apache
machines. I guess I prefer having a centralised point in which to
control the caching behaviour.

>> The reason for our desire to cache is that a version number is used in
>> the query string and incremented when appropriate on the resource.
>
> So from my limited understanding of your environment it seems to make sense to set
> a long expiration time on this resource as a new version of a response will have
> a different query string.
>
>> Most browsers seem to ignore RFC2616 13.9 in regards to the query string
>> being present in the URI.
>
> What do you mean by this? That browsers cache the response even if no Expires
> header is present in the response?

Internet Explorer and Firefox both seem to cache content that have a
query string when there is no expires header, according to the RFC which
Apache is following there should be no caching.

>> Apologies for not getting the gist of the thread.
>
> No need to apologize at all for contributing to this discussion.

Reagards,
Scott