httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Headache, Win32 Service Name for Apache 2.2
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:04:52 GMT

On Jan 3, 2007, at 10:49 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>  [ ] Change the MPM code to use Apache2.2 by default (and Apache2.4
> in trunk)
>  [X] Change the Installer to go back to Apache2 as the default service
>      (this makes parallel installs of Apache2.0 and Apache2.2 more
> troublesome.)
>  [ ] Change nothing, just document the discrepancy.

For my own use, I would advocate (and do have in production) the
first variant.  However, the arguments made by Issac and Mladen are
compelling.

Changing the service name would violate the Principle of Least
Surprise, and I think that once someone wants to have multiple Apache
versions installed, as services, they can grok the concept of
customizing the Service name as they see fit.

S.