httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <>
Subject Re: Vote request: Accept mod_ftp podling for graduation
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:38:14 GMT
httpd hat on (I am also on the mod_ftp PPMC):

On Jan 18, 2007, at 5:42 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> The mod_ftp PPMC has voted on graduation and it was approved[1].
> We are now asking the httpd PMC to approve graduation.
> One topic for discussion is whether it should be a "subproject"
> of httpd (ala mod_mbox, mod_python, ...) or simply
> added to httpd-trunk under modules/. I would assume

While I like the idea of httpd (or, Apache 'D') gaining FTP
capability out of the box, it'd place a burden upon us to maintain,
vet, release and test close to 8000 lines of code in step with the
server releases.

Having mod_ftp separate from the httpd source tree allows us to have
our own release pace, allows folks to build mod_ftp against whichever
server revision they desire (<dream>and submit patches if the build
against their favorite branch breaks</dream>) etc.  However, having
the module sit in its own corner carries the risk of having it
languish for lack of attention.

In any case, how much acceptance would we gain by foisting the FTP
module upon the unsuspecting hordes who download the Apache 'D'
sources?  Perhaps a more effective approach would be to work with the
folks who package httpd for the various operating systems (apt, rpm,
FreeBSD Ports, etc.) to provide a mod_ftp package in the same way
(for instance) Ubuntu has libapache2-mod-python.  Anyone from these
communities lurking on this list (yes, I have looked at packagers@...
lots of tumbleweeds).

I am undecided, but biased in favor of trunk/modules because I have
worked with this module before.