httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <devk...@thevortex.cc>
Subject State of perchild MPM
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:31:40 GMT

I have gotten the impression this may be a sore subject for the list based on searching through
the archives, but I do not intend to work anyone up.  I have been trying to find a solution
to the problem of shared hosting with a dynamic language such as PHP.  I found the old perchild
MPM and it appears it is not being maintained or there was possibly a design problem.  I would
like to know two things.

1. Is there a mechanism (other than suexec) that allows functionality similar to perchild,
that will allow a uid to be assigned on a per request basis?

2. If there is, do the developers need help with it?  I can write C and I am willing to help
out with this.  If there is not, Would anyone from the Apache team be interested in working
with me so I may write such functionality, maybe for a future version of Apache?

I would appreciate all constructive criticism.  If there is a good technical reason this cannot
be done, please explain it to me.  I am also willing to work on a patch for the kernel to
hook calls that Apache makes to system calls such as open and execve if necessary.

Thank you for your time,
devkit1