httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Piped logger nightmares
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 17:56:01 GMT

On Jan 9, 2007, at 9:41 AM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> So by changing from the pipe to the shell, we blew up in the service
> process on some boxes (XP at least).  Sander reports it does not die
> as a service on Windows 2003, but apparently EOS to the cmd.exe
> process
> isn't a reliable deathknell.

It doesn't die, but on my Production 2k3 server, it's littering about
16 rotatelogs.exe and eight cmd.exe in the last hour. The littered
processes are unconnected to each other and the shells point to a
nonexistent httpd.exe... which doesn't seem to be crashing (no
evidence of that in the error log or Application event log, and
MaxRequestsPerChild is 0).

I'm keeping an eye on it and periodically cleaning out the litter.

This is Steffen's (ApacheLounge) build of 2.2.3, built July 27 2006.
Yesterday I played with our own (ASF) binary on my home box.

S.