httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Piped logger nightmares
Date Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:46:59 GMT

On Jan 5, 2007, at 3:38 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> is a complete disaster to Win32 as-a-service.  It works fine from the
> command line, but the lack of stdout/stderr channels causes cmd.exe
> "in a service" appear to cause the CreateProcess of cmd.exe to
> implode.

I am now playing around with Process Explorer and the httpd 2.2.3
binary from our own download, and here's what I'm seeing:

Process     PID
httpd.exe            3464 <-- httpd.pid
   cmd.exe            3376
     rotatelogs.exe   3776
   cmd.exe            4040
     rotatelogs.exe   2696
   httpd.exe          1388
     cmd.exe          1584
       rotatelogs.exe 3028
   cmd.exe            3724
     rotatelogs.exe   2548

Note: two rotatelogs is started from the parent, two from the child.

Turning over the log files does not give me orphaned processes, but
every time I restart the service I get four newly unloved
rotatelogs.exe in the list.

Looks like these add up to something too: my production server
stopped logging altogether after the 6th, and once I slapped Process
Explorer onto it I saw it try to timidly spawn a cmd.exe once in a
while, which then went away again real quick. Only when I manually
mucked out the pages and pages of orphans could I successfully
restart the service and make it start logging again.

S.