httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Vote request: Accept mod_ftp podling for graduation
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 22:08:06 GMT
I mostly concur with Justin

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 1/18/07, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> The mod_ftp PPMC has voted on graduation and it was approved[1].
>> We are now asking the httpd PMC to approve graduation.
>
> +1.

+1

>> One topic for discussion is whether it should be a "subproject"
>> of httpd (ala mod_mbox, mod_python, ...) or simply
>> added to httpd-trunk under modules/.
>
> +1 for a separate directory (ala mod_mbox)
> -1 on any new mailing lists (ala mod_python) - all dev/release
> discussion concerning mod_ftp should be on dev@httpd.

Ditto

> +0 on importing to httpd-trunk/modules.  (I could be persuaded to put
> it there - by the time we go to 2.4, I can live with the bloat...)

A qualified +1 on httpd-trunk/modules/ --- with a caviat that it not
be deposited into branches/2.4.x/ when we fork.

I don't want to see ftp slow down a release of 2.4.0 - we have many auth
and configuration improvements, and there's an increasing stress to backport
too many new features.  Reaching this breaking point means we need to change
focus from 2.2.x to making 2.4.0 ready, and I believe shipping mod_ftp on
such an expedited schedule in the core isn't in 2.4's interest.

I'm +1 to releasing mod_ftp code for users who specifically want these
features, putting it in front of the broader communities, and therefore
subjecting it to the usual scrutiny.  I believe 9 to 15 months from it's
broader release it will be ready to ship with the release versions of httpd.

For now, there's no reason not to offer it to anyone playing on trunk, as
long as --enable-ftp is required, and not default.

Bill