httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Add 2.2.4 to bugzilla
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:06:36 GMT

On 01/12/2007 11:14 PM, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>
>> On Jan 12, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Joe Orton wrote:
>>
>>> What is the difference between a "RESOLVED" bug and a "CLOSED"  one?  Is
>>> it not possible to re-open/add comments to CLOSED reports or  something?
>>> It's always seemed like a meaningless distinction to me, going  through
>>> marking stuff CLOSED seems like a spam generation exercise.
>>

>> Theoretically, issues are resolved when they are fixed on trunk
>> and closed when the fix is included in any release.
>

> I like this because it imposes branch management where Bugzilla  itself
> has none.

Sounds good to me. So far I used the following process for myself:

1. Fix on trunk => Leave state in Needinfo and add a comment with revision of
   fix.
2. Proposed for backport => Leave state in Needinfo and add a comment with revision
   of backport proposal (STATUS file)
3. Backported => Change state to "Resolved, fixed" and add a comment with revision of
   backport.

This could be modified to:

1. Fix on trunk => Change state in "Resolved, fixed" and add a comment with revision
   of fix.
2. Proposed for backport => Leave state in "Resolved, fixed" and add a comment with
   revision of backport proposal (STATUS file)
3. Backported => Change state to "Closed" and add a comment with revision of
   backport.

>From my personal point of view I think it is important to add the revision number
of the fix / backport to the comment because:

1. People who are interested / have the know how can easily cross check what has been
   changed.
2. People who only want a specific fix either because there is no newer stable version,
   or because they cannot do an upgrade to a later stable version for whatever reason
   can easily find the needed patch.

Regards

RĂ¼diger