httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Piped logger nightmares
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 23:38:41 GMT
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&sortby=date&revision=104019

is a complete disaster to Win32 as-a-service.  It works fine from the
command line, but the lack of stdout/stderr channels causes cmd.exe
"in a service" appear to cause the CreateProcess of cmd.exe to implode.

As I look at it, the choice to add another indirection between httpd
and the pipe process adds some horrible resource issues to the server,
especially with many, many separate rotated log files.  Also, this
extra layer adds more opportunities for kill signals to be mishandled,
possibly leading to some of our orphaned log processes?

The reason given; "some examples use the shell..." wasn't enough to
make this the default behavior against all installations, IMHO.

I'd suggest an alternate syntax; use |$ where a shell command is really
actually demanded.  So...

ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs someargs"

would go back to invoking rotatelogs, not sh->rotatelogs.

ErrorLog "|$somescriptcommand"

would behave as Jeff desired.

Comments?