httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: Headache, Win32 Service Name for Apache 2.2
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 08:25:19 GMT

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> One of three things can happen here... please express your preference
> (if you have one)
>
>  [ ] Change the MPM code to use Apache2.2 by default (and Apache2.4 in trunk)
>  [X] Change the Installer to go back to Apache2 as the default service
>      (this makes parallel installs of Apache2.0 and Apache2.2 more troublesome.)
>  [ ] Change nothing, just document the discrepancy.

Rationale: Most users don't need concurrent service installs. For the
few that that do, most don't need cross-version service installs (at
least between 2.x versions[1]).  As far as anyone who passes both of
those, if he's intelligent enough to manage the separate ports and the
rest of the overhead of having multiple webservers on a single server,
he's probably intelligent enough to manage the service names too.

For the rest of us, it's a pain to need to remember what version is
installed on every machine.  It's also shorter typing to net start
apache2 than to net start apache2.2.  And if I have multiple apache's
I'm probably going to net start apachefoo rather than httpd -k start -n
apachefoo

  Issac

[1] 1.3 and 2.x installs may be more common on win32 if someone has
proprietary modules for 1.3 and can't port to 2.0, but still wants a 2.0
front-end for stability