httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Bugzilla flow (Re: Add 2.2.4 to bugzilla)
Date Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:01:55 GMT

On Jan 12, 2007, at 3:33 AM, Joe Orton wrote:

>> Yes, Closed should be the final resting place for bug reports, for
>> good or for bad.
>
> What is the difference between a "RESOLVED" bug and a "CLOSED"
> one?  Is
> it not possible to re-open/add comments to CLOSED reports or
> something?
> It's always seemed like a meaningless distinction to me, going through
> marking stuff CLOSED seems like a spam generation exercise.

For me, linguistically, I mean "closed" as opposed to "open".  If
nothing else it just sounds nicer.  Closure is good.

However, the meaning of any bug state is determined by the people who
work with it: If "Resolved" is defined as the final resting place for
bugs, then that is what it is.

For httpd-2, we have 1841 closed bugs, and 975 lingering in
'Resolved'.  We clearly have different people following different
workflows.  I browsed a couple of the highest numbered 'Closed' bugs,
and some were closed by the reporter after we found them Resolved,
Invalid.

To me, 'Resolved' has the connotation that it hasn't stopped
twitching yet, and could still come back to life.  Once 'Closed', it
should stay dead.

It really comes down to how we define things.  The fact that Bugzilla
has a certain state or feature doesn't mean that we have to use it...
we don't use 'Unconfirmed' either, do we?

As for the spam problem, Bugzilla does not send spam. If a user does
not want to receive certain Bugzilla messages, they have fine-grained
control over their e-mail preferences.

What I'm most unhappy about is that we have 783 bugs in New,
Assigned, Reopened, NeedInfo... that seems like quite a lot.  Perhaps
we need to turn on voting and start using 'Unconfirmed' as initial
state?

S.