httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Ristic" <ivan.ris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: State of perchild MPM
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:31:40 GMT
Hi Arnold,

You have obviously spent a great deal of time implementing your
solution. Personally I have always felt complete separation (e.g. what
is done with FastCGI) is a more robust approach. But I don't think the
issues surrounding the choices have been discussed enough in the
public. If you don't mind I would appreciate if you could share your
opinions and experiences.

In particular, I am wondering if and how are you handling the issue of
"leaked" Apache file descriptors (under quotes because they are not
really leaked - it's the same process)? These file descriptors can be
abused to, for example, log to the Apache log files and take over the
network sockets.

The other issue is the users loading custom shared libraries to gain
direct access to the process memory and then extract sensitive
information from it (e.g. SSL keys).

Other questions that come to mind:

1) Have you ever evaluated a FastCGI-based approach?

2) Have you ever measured the performance increase you gain with your
solution (as opposed to having a "pure" suExec-based approach)?

3) Do you require a secret of some kind to change users? For example,
can I change the user from custom CGI script or a binary executed from
PHP?

Thanks,
Ivan

--