httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Joshua Slive" <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject IE7 wrecks language negotiation
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 20:00:16 GMT
Following up on a question on the users list, I found this blog entry:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/17/accept-language-header-for-internet-explorer-7.aspx
which says that IE7 now uses only "language/locale pairs" in the
Accept-Language header.

They follow this up with:
"If a given server is only interested in the user's language and not
the locale, it can ignore the locale portion by simply truncating the
code at the first dash."
This tells server to ignore RFC2616 section 14.4 if they wish to work with IE7.

The effect of this is that users who specify more than one acceptable
language in IE7 aren't going to get the one they really prefer in many
cases when working with HTTP/1.1 compliant servers (like apache
httpd).  (If only one language is selected, things should work okay
because we added a work-around for this in 2.0.  But it is impossible
to work-around the problem with multiple languages and still follow
the RFC.)

It would be possible to add a BrowserMatch-settable variable to do the
HTTP-breaking recommended by Microsoft, but I don't know if it is
worth it.

Joshua.