httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eliminating absolute paths on installation
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:19:56 GMT
On 12/13/06, Paul Fee <paulfee@operamail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> After building Apache httpd, I find that the httpd executable has explicit knowledge
of its ultimate install location as specified with:

> ./configure --prefix=<install location>

> Any thoughts?

The portable way to start Apache httpd 2+ is via the apachectl script,
which picks up the library path and other environment variables for
tuning how the web server runs (most platforms don't have such tuning
by default FWIW).

The Apache binary build mechanism* (see binbuild.sh) is supposed to
handle the requirement you describe.  It isn't perfect, however.  In
the past there have been a few platform-specific build problems with
picking up some bundled libraries via the library path.  Also, it
doesn't make required edits to files used by apxs.  Totally unhandled
is a way for suexec to work.  (Suexec is the only feature I know of
that depends on a path which can't be configured or, for apxs support,
edited in files with sed.)

*It has been a couple of years since I played with the 2.0.x version.
My comments may not reflect reality.

Start with binbuild.sh and see how far it gets you.  It may suit your
purposes already.