httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Trent Nelson" <tnel...@onresolve.com>
Subject RE: Apache BUG: 36495 : ajp_proxy_connect_backend failure
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:18:05 GMT
> > I find that svn externals can provide a useful alternative to the
> > approach you've mentioned:
>
> Externals are evil.
>
> They are *very* prone to mis-tagging.  A tag with externals pointing
> back to another leaf of a trunk are WORTHLESS.  Several projects have
> been guilty of this.

I'd certainly agree that *tagging* a structure that contains externals
pointing to other trunk branches is a recipe for disaster.  As long as
you don't do this, they can be very useful, even if your entire
externals definition is composed of tagged/read-only branches:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/views/2.2.3
svn:externals:
src/ http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.2.3
src/srclib/apr http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/tags/1.2.8
src/srclib/apr-util
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/tags/1.2.8
src/srclib/apr-iconv
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-iconv/tags/1.1.1

Thus, I could check out the exact source used to build 2.2.3 via:

	svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/views/2.2.3

I'd personally prefer this sort of an approach to, say, relying on the
source tars that are manually rolled at release time.

	Trent.