httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Wrong etag sent with mod_deflate
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 01:42:23 GMT
On 12/7/06, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> mod_deflate should just add the W/ prefix if it's not already there.  -- justin

But, that'll break caches as we're not allowed to serve If-Match with
weak entity tags.  Feh.

-1 on adding semantic junk to the existing ETag (and keeping it
strong); that's blatantly uncool.  Any generated ETag from mod_deflate
should either be the original strong version or a weak version of any
previous etag.  mod_deflate by *definition* is just creating a weak
version of the prior entity.

mod_deflate does properly stick in the Vary header, so caches already
have enough knowledge to know what's going on anyway even without a
fix.  (This is probably why mod_cache doesn't flag it as an error.)

My opinion is to fix the protocol and move on...  -- justin