httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Wrong etag sent with mod_deflate
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2006 13:51:01 GMT
Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> But the unique identity of the response entity is defined by request-URI
> + ETag and/or Content-Location. The cache is not supposed to evaluate
> Accept-* headers in determining the entity identity, only the origin
> server.

However, on an initial request (ie, non-conditional) we do not have an etag from
the client, we only have info like Host, URI, Accept-*, etc.  So, how would the
cache identify which entity to serve in this case?

> Please see RFC2616 13.6 Caching Negotiated Responses, it explains how
> the RFC intends that caches should operate wrt Vary, ETag and
> Content-Location in full detail.

I have read it many times.. In our case - cnn.com, etc. - we have to decided to
be RFC "compliant" from the client to the cache server.  From the cache to the
origin, however, we are not as concerned.  In a reverse-proxy-cache, this is not
a big deal. However, in a "normal forward-proxy-cache," where one does not
control both cache and origin, one must be more careful.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer