httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: Wrong etag sent with mod_deflate
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:25:03 GMT
This is not a response to any post on this subject, but more of a comment.  Here
is a real world example of how we use deflate and etags with our cache. (Note
this is very similar to mod_cache, but I do not know the inner workings of it as
well).

1. Generate key from URI and ap_get_servername
2. open cached object.  Is it "Vary?" no, goto step 5.
3. Is "Vary." Generate new key.
4. Open cached object.
5. Check expiry time, "exit" if expired.
6. Load headers.
7. Call ap_meets_conditions (etags, IMS, etc.)  If yes, return 304 (or whatever).
8. If not meets_conditions, serve from cache.

So, multiple variants of the same object can have the same Etag, but still be
different cached objects.

This probably has no bearing on the current conversation, but perhaps I am not
fully appreciating the core of the debate??

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer