httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Frank <fr...@x09.de>
Subject Re: Creating a thread safe module and the problem of calling of 'CRYPTO_set_locking_callback' twice!
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2006 07:36:40 GMT
Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 06:20:55PM +0000, Darryl Miles wrote:
> [...]
>>Is there an API to get the current value ?
>

> Yes, CRYPTO_get_locking_callback/CRYPTO_get_id_callback.
> [...]

I already know that this functions exists. But what if my module gets
inited before mod_ssl, which doesn't use the get-functions to determine
that something is already there? I was in the hope to see a clean
general purpose solution. :-)

After this long and informative discussion I really think there is need
for a ssl_thread_init_if_not_already_done inside Apache. (Besides the
correction/removal of OpenSSL's stupid global locking mechanism.)

Maybe there is some (small) re-design of the Apache code needed?

But as stated before in the discussion: I will also ask the
OpenSSL-mailinglist for this.

Thank you for all your comments,
Frank

P.S.: Someone suggested in a personal mail to use the real-thread-safe
http://www.geodyssey.com/cryptography/cryptography.html! (He saw that I
only want to encrypt something using Blowfish.) This is an option
indeed! But as a programmer I can't believe that I have to use a second
Blowfish-library in Apache while there is already one available! :-)