httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Frank <fr...@x09.de>
Subject Creating a thread safe module and the problem of calling of 'CRYPTO_set_locking_callback' twice!
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:45:48 GMT
Hi,
I am developing a module (using OpenSSL) for apache 2.2.3 and wonder how
to make it thread safe.

That module uses EVP_EncryptUpdate (and friends) so I have to use
'CRYPTO_set_id_callback' and 'CRYPTO_set_locking_callback' to make the
code thread safe. But I am not sure what will happen if the user
configures mod_ssl! In threaded mode that module calls
'ssl_util_thread_setup' (in modules/ssl/ssl_util.c) which also calls
'CRYPTO_set_id_callback' and 'CRYPTO_set_locking_callback'!

So my question is:
- Should I call 'ssl_util_thread_setup' too and a (maybe) second call to
that function doesn't create problems?
- Should there be a 'Someone_already_called_me_so_go_home'-Variable
inside the function 'ssl_util_thread_setup' to prevent it from being
called twice?
- Do I understand something wrong?
- What is the correct approach to solve this dilemma?

Any tips are more than welcome!
Frank