httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: vote on concept of ServerTokens Off
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:05:28 GMT
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 01:30:26PM +0100, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:
> According to Jeff:
>
> > A lot of opinions were offered back in August.  Some were negative but
> > I don't see anything that looks like a veto.
>
> I voted -1 at that time which is a veto.
>
> My opinion hasn't changed and I still think that it is a very
> stupid idea to add a "feature" that allows our users to do
> something which is stupid and absurd.

The motivation given by the submitter was that he pays per byte served,
it seems entirely reasonable to allow the Server header to be disabled
for such users.

I don't see any decent technical justification for preventing this being
configured, it's not as if it even required a new directive.  The
references to branding and affect on "apparent market share" carry no
weight in technical discussion IMO.

Regards,

joe