httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Nordstrom <...@squid-cache.org>
Subject Re: Wrong etag sent with mod_deflate
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:17:24 GMT
lör 2006-12-09 klockan 22:51 -0800 skrev Roy T. Fielding:

> implies a different representation will be selected.  The standard
> was crafted to make caching as efficient as possible.  I just wish
> it was easier to read.

13.6 isn't very hard to read once you get to it, and brings a lot of
light on how ETag is supposed to work. I think the trouble is that
server authors generally do not read that section of the RFC as it's
looks related to caching only and it's not obvious it also explains the
server side logics and why ETag must work the way it's defined far
better than the ETag definition alone is capable of doing.

> When it comes to HTTP, Apache leads -- it does not follow blindly,
> nor does it wait for spineless browser developers to introduce a
> feature first.  We implement it and that act alone is sufficient
> to break the chicken-and-egg dilemma that everyone else uses to
> justify their lack of priorities.

And the Squid developers is very thankful for this. If you did not we
would still not be caching Vary responses at all, nor would we have
dared to venture down the ETag lane making Vary response caching
actually work.

It's unfortunate that we did not verify mod_deflate when this work was
done many years ago (2001), only mod_negotiation. The problems with
mod_deflate was only discovered this summer when we felt ready to get
ETag based caching into the mainline version.

Regards
Henrik