httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Nordstrom <...@squid-cache.org>
Subject Re: Wrong etag sent with mod_deflate
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2006 21:29:49 GMT
fre 2006-12-08 klockan 15:40 -0800 skrev Justin Erenkrantz:

> I think we all (hopefully) agree that a weak ETag is ideally what
> mod_deflate should add.

Please read RFC2616 13.6 Caching Negotiated Responses for an in-depth
description of how caches should handle Vary. And please stop lying
about Squid. If you think something in our cache implementation of
Vary/ETag is not right then say what and back it up with RFC reference.

My base requirement is that you comply with If-None-Match. For this you
MUST return a different ETag. It does not matter to me if it's weak or
strong as the main concerns for a cache is GET/HEAD requests. Flagging
the existing ETag as weak does not make it a different ETag as
If-None-Match on GET/HEAD allows for the weak comparison function where
weakness is ignored.

13.3.3 Weak and Strong Validators

      - The weak comparison function: in order to be considered equal,
        both validators MUST be identical in every way, but either or
        both of them MAY be tagged as "weak" without affecting the
        result.

Regards
Henrik