httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: mod_wombat
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 06:53:01 GMT
On Nov 8, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Paul Querna wrote:

> Brian has expressed interest in brining mod_wombat to the ASF.
>
> Is there interest in this PMC to bring it in under us?

It sounds like there is enough interest, given the old theory that
three committers are enough to support most any module.  I don't
think it should be part of the default module set, though, at least
not until there is a compelling reason.

The procedure is:

   (1) make this thread a formal vote

and, assuming that passes

   (2) fill out the incubation paperwork at
       <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html>

and then

   (3) import the code under httpd/mod_wombat

Brian is not currently an httpd committer, but it should not be
hard for us to approve module commit access for an ASF member.

I am personally +0 on the idea, but my only reservation is that
we have too many eggs in one basket already.  One of these days,
some kind soul will have the energy to build a CPAN-like module
registry and distribution mechanism.

> I am personally interested in it because I believe it could be one of
> the paths taken for an httpd 3.0 in which Lua was embedded, replacing
> the config system and other large areas of C code.

I am struggling to see what Lua could possibly add (or subtract)
from a config system.  Using coroutines for request handling might
be fun, but placing a coroutine interpreter in the core has all
sorts of security implications (not to mention that Lua is a
separate code base that we have no control over).  However, it
would make an interesting experiment.

....Roy