httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject CPAN for HTTPD, was Re: mod_wombat
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 09:02:54 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I am personally +0 on the idea, but my only reservation is that
> we have too many eggs in one basket already.  One of these days,
> some kind soul will have the energy to build a CPAN-like module
> registry and distribution mechanism.

We talked about this in good detail back at ApacheCon EU 2005.  Its not
going anywhere IMO.

It sounds like a great idea, except that for 95% of users, they will get
  httpd via apt-get, yum, a CD, ports, or some other package system.
Another CPAN-like system is generally a waste when there are already
many great packaging systems out there.

Successful CPAN-like systems were mostly started back when package
management was an enormous pain.  It still is on some platforms
*cough*solaris*cough*, but they are generally the exception these days.

-Paul