httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Edmundsson <ni...@acc.umu.se>
Subject Re: svn commit: r467655 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/mod/mod_cache.xml modules/cache/mod_cache.c modules/cache/mod_cache.h
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:25:38 GMT
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, Graham Leggett wrote:

> I managed to solve this problem last night.

<snip>

This is what this code needed: Someone with a clue on the apache
internals so stuff can be solved properly. I have said it before and
say it again: I'm not that guy, but I know what functionality is
needed for our usecase.

People have complained at the kludges present in my patches, and yes
they were kludgy. However, they miss the big point: Despite the
kludges they get the job done, with the end result being something
usable for our usecase. With good performance, no less. If I can
improve stuff from the state unusable to actually-pretty-good with
kludges, then this should be a rather obvious hint that things suck
and should be fixed. To just keep repeating "this is no good" probably
won't achieve this.

If the goal is to never accept code that isn't perfect, mod*cache
never should have been committed to the httpd tree, and probably most
modules (including mod_example) too. Once in a while you have to
acknowledge that commited code is crap, and accept patches, albeit
kludges, if it improves the situation. Otherwise you might end up with
code that keeps on rotting away (mod_example is a good example,
again).

I would have been most happy if this had been fixed ages ago so I
hadn't been forced to spend lots and lots of hours kludging stuff
togehter. At least, my kludges seem to have sparked some development
in this area, so they have served some purpose other than enabling a
non-profit computer club building a FTP/HTTP server that actually
works.

/Nikke
  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}.umu.se      |     nikke@acc.umu.se
  My favorite color?  Red.  No, BluAAAAAHHH!