httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Justin Erenkrantz" <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: cache API visibility (was Re: svn commit: r468373...)
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 17:32:22 GMT
On 10/30/06, Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:
> So here's another assumption to consider with this work...
>
> I keep seeing people talk about the mod_cache interface as an
> externally-visible API for which we must maintain API/ABI compatibility.
> But mod_cache.h is not installed, so this API is not actually exposed
> externally, and never has been.

There are some folks who have custom cache modules flying around that
use the provider interface from 2.2.  (They just drop into the cache
directory...)

> Given that fact I don't see the point in jumping through hoops to
> maintain backwards API compat, only two modules use the API.

I view it as that we can create a new provider interface without
breaking the old implementations.  This reduces the amount of churn
when we want to rev the interface.

So, we could create a new "mod_large_disk_cache" and not alter
mod_mem_cache or mod_disk_cache in any way.  Currently, we have to
keep them all in sync and I view that as a waste of time.  I view it
as simpler to consider the current interface as fixed and come up with
a new interface.  -- justin