httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_disk_cache summarization
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:20:44 GMT
On Tue, October 24, 2006 9:31 am, Paul Querna wrote:

>> The prerequisite is that APR needs to be taught about this scheme, and
>> it has to work portably across all platforms.
>
> No it doesn't.  mod_disk_cache makes many assumptions about the
> underlying OS, like how moving a file on the same file system is atomic,
> and how you can move files that have open file descriptors, both of
> which aren't true with some file systems or operating systems (like uh..
> windows).

As I understand, there is no more file moving inside mod_disk_cache, so
this is no longer true.

> mod_disk_cache is a high performance part, lets make it work great on
> most unixy/POSIX type platforms, and come back to making it portable
> later.

I'd rather not do a whole lot of work coming up with a works-for-me cache,
and then have to field a whole lot of bug reports (like, say from Windows
users ;) ) and then have to fix all the problems that come up by rewriting
everything again.

mod_disk_cache needs to be high performance yes, but not to the point
where that means it's broken on half the platforms.

Regards,
Graham