httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: cache: the store_body interface
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 13:17:18 GMT
On Tue, October 31, 2006 2:31 pm, Joe Orton wrote:

> To determine writability of the output filter chain is not as simple as
> exposing writability of the socket.  An output filter may block on
> writes because it is blocked on a read from the (writable) socket, this
> happens with SSL for example.

True, but this is not a showstopper. Keep in mind that it's advantageous
to "try very hard" to cache the entire backend as soon as possible, but
this doesn't have to be perfect in every case. If the socket blocks, the
backend is delayed, and we are not as efficient as we theoretically could
be. Oh well.

This doesn't mean it should not try though, and to bring it back to the
store_body() interface, it means store_body() should keep the option open
for this to be possible, via option #1 or #2.

Regards,
Graham