httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Stoddard <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cache: the store_body interface
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:31:19 GMT
Plüm wrote:
>> That seems to be an important point to me. Although I never used
>>> the fd caching of mod_mem_cache this would mean we actually would
>>> have to dump this feature. This looks bad to me. Isn't this
>>>
>> a showstopper
>>
>>> for implementing #3 as new interface?
>>>
>> Honestly, mod_mem_cache is a complete joke.  It's never worked
>>

> I am not quite sure if Bill (not other Bill) shares this point of view :-).
>
> Regards
>
> Rüdiger

Yikes, I've been out'ed :-)

Parts of mod_mem_cache, especially the reference counting and fd cache
stuff I wrote, are exceptionally elegant ;-).  But seriously,
mod_mem_cache was not a bad first effort, but it is ready for a
rewrite.  I was never happy dealing with bucket brigades in the cache, a
real pita, so option #3 looks interesting. Probably possible to use
option #3 and extend it as a special case for caching fds.

Bill