httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_cache and its ilk
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:13:04 GMT
Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> As far as *I* am concerned, changes to the cache code must be correct
> first and then perform second, and both of those should be proven by
> actual testing before being committed to trunk.

+1.

We have an existing cache that breaks in real world environments.

We have a contributed patch set from Niklas Edmundsson that addresses
these issues, and is used in production. It works. A significant amount
of work has been done to ensure that after each patch was committed, the
code was tested and still worked.

It works for me, very well.

We have some very valid objections to some of the methods used in this
patch set, and based on these objections a major part of one patch was
rewritten, and the last patch in the set was never committed.

We also have some very clear things that the patch is not allowed to do
- including but not limited to threading and forking.

- APR needs significantly improved documentation attached to its doxygen
comments.

- APR needs a notifier API to determine whether ap_core_output_filter()
will block. This addresses Joe objection to the assumption that
ap_core_output_filter() won't block on files. This also removes the need
for any threading or forking.

- The notifier is also needed so that the need to fstat then sleep is
removed.

Further work is being done to solve the above issues, but too few people
are testing this code. This is another call to download trunk and to try
it out, and to identify any issues encountered so that they may be
identified and fixed.

Regards,
Graham