httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Davi Arnaut <d...@haxent.com.br>
Subject Re: svn commit: r467655 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/mod/mod_cache.xml modules/cache/mod_cache.c modules/cache/mod_cache.h
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:24:50 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Paul Querna wrote:
>> Thats not going to be possible until 3.0. Good luck :)
>
> Paul's right.  The next expectiation we break, that a protocol spends it's
> life on a single thread.  That is really a 3.0 magnitude change because it
> will break modules in a major way.
>
> Then, the final expectation to break is that a -request- spends it's life on
> a given thread.  That's earth shattering to developers, and really is beyond
> the 3.0 release (if we want to see 3.0 adopted in the next few years).

Ok. I will come back in a few years :) j/k

How about moving the proxy/cache parts to use their own core
filters/architecture ? I obviously lack experience, but in my limited
understanding the proxy/cache code is being restrained because we can't
improve core features that may affect the HTTP serving parts.

In a proxy/cache situation no one cares about php/python, cgi, or
what-so-ever filters. Can't we change the rules for apache (core and
modules) operating as a proxy/cache more easily ?

I don't know all possible implications of such a move, but it may work.

--
Davi Arnaut