httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Akins <brian.ak...@turner.com>
Subject Re: mod_disk_cache summarization
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:37:19 GMT
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
>> The comparison of your and Brian's experience are two ends of extremes on
>> high volume caches, one low hits large files, the second high hits small
>> files. This should make for some useful tuning information.
>
> The extreme difference is what makes me think that we should acknowledge
> that they exist and provide the relevant knobs where necessary. As it
> looks right now, those knobs tend to be more OS/filesystem specific, but
> that might change as this evolves.

My thought on this is that we use providers, so in theory, you could use a
different provider for the different types:

CacheEnable /largecrap large_disk_with_stat_sleep_thing
CacheEnable /normalstuff normal_disk

Perhaps the only difference between these two is the CACHE_IN mechanism (ie,
serving from cache is the same).

There is no reason, IMNSHO, to try to shove all the functionality under the sun
into one cache provider.  The current mod_disk_cache (before the mass patches)
works for a large percentage of cases.  I see no reason to mutilate it.  Just do
a new provider...

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer