httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Georgi Chorbadzhiyski ...@unixsol.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [users@httpd] Killing apache child processes and logging (how to stop serving request?)]
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:07:24 GMT
Guy Hulbert wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-10 at 13:51 +0300, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
>> Sometimes I need to kill an apache child process serving large file
>> before
>> request is completed. I run "kill -SIGTERM HTTPD_PID", the child dies
>> and
>> transfer is stopped but nothing is written in access log.
>
> I don't know the answer to your question specifically for apache but for
> many unix daemons, the 'HUP' (hang-up) signal is implemented as a clean
> shutdown.
>
> Incidentally, your "-SIGTERM" is redundant on most unices as that is
> normally the default for 'kill'.

Yeah I know -SIGTERM is not needed as it is the default signal for kill
I just put it, to be 100% sure it is sending the signal I want :) I've
tried with USR1 (graceful, no cookie), SIGPWR also all kinds of strange
signals from kill -l list. Either signal is ignorred or httpd child serving
request dies and nothing in the logs.

> I would try "kill -HUP" (or "-SIGHUP" if it insists) ... and then check
> the man pages :-) ... etc ...

Unfortunately SIGHUP works as other signals described above.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/