httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Georgi Chorbadzhiyski ...@unixsol.org>
Subject [Fwd: [users@httpd] Killing apache child processes and logging (how to stop serving request?)]
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:51:15 GMT
Guys, sorry if this is OT in developers list, but nobody on users@ seems
to know the answer.

Basically is there a way to instruct apache to stop serving given request
and log end of the connection? I tried killing httpd process serving the request
but this way I lose log information which makes this method unusable.

Bellow is the message to users@

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Killing apache child processes and logging (how to stop serving request?)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 00:24:31 +0300
From: Georgi Chorbadzhiyski <gf@unixsol.org>
To: users@httpd.apache.org

Hi guys, I have the following problem. I maintain a mirror site serving
large ISO images. Everything is fine with Apache 2.2 but I have the following
problem (tested with the same results in 1.3.37, 2.0.59 and 2.2.3):

Sometimes I need to kill an apache child process serving large file before
request is completed. I run "kill -SIGTERM HTTPD_PID", the child dies and
transfer is stopped but nothing is written in access log.

I've tried sending different signals to the child serving the request but
I can't cause it to die and log the transfer at the same time. The child just
dies without logging the transfer.

Is there a way to stop apache child serving request but without loosing log
information?

Graceful doesn't work for me, because I want to stop the transfer and graceful
is just advisory.

Tested on Linux 2.6.17.7/Slamd64 and Linux 2.4.32/Slackware 11.

--
Georgi Chorbadzhiyski
http://georgi.unixsol.org/