httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <c...@force-elite.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r451582 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/proxy/mod_proxy.h
Date Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:50:15 GMT
Mladen Turk wrote:
> But the trunk is usually build as is with all custom modules.
> What's the point of it if we need to preserve backward compatibility.
> (For what version, SVN head from DD/MM/YYYY or what).
> When the first version gets tagged from trunk, then we can have a MMN.
> Until then, the trunk itself is the version.

Its not about maintaining compatibility, its about maintaining
versioning.  Don't confuse the versioning mechanisms with restrictions
on changes.

Bumping the MMN allows modules to be compiled against trunk, and know
when an API has changed.  It is perfectly acceptable to break, change,
or modify an ABI in trunk at any time, but we still should version it,
so anyone interested will have a way to know this.

-Paul