httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Graham Leggett" <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: mod_disk_cache summarization
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:58:25 GMT
On Tue, October 24, 2006 2:48 pm, Niklas Edmundsson wrote:

>> Perhaps this could be as simple as using ServerName and ServerAlias
>> (unless the name of the site is part of the URL, which will happen in
>> the
>> forward proxy case) to reduce the cached URL to a canonical form before
>> storing and or retrieving from the cache.
>
> We have a few different servernames depending on which site it's
> serving (needs to cater for official download locations and so on) so
> I guess that won't help much.

How it is configured? Is this in a virtual host like so?

<VirtualHost ip.address:port>
  ServerName ftp.gnome.se
  ServerAlias ftp.somewhere.else
  ServerAlias ftp.whatever
</VirtualHost>

If the URLs change (ie the directories are different) then its a different
story.

>> It makes sense that mod_disk_cache shouldn't do it, but perhaps it
>> should
>> be tunable for htcacheclean.
>
> Arguably. But if you ever need to remove directories in the cache
> hiearchy you should really start to wonder why they were created in
> the first place...

They could have been created by accident (wrong command line switches,
whatever).

> We use combined header/body, and sendfile works flawlessly. Linux
> sendfile has problems when writing to a sendfile():d file with
> mmap, and all sendfiles have problems with overlapping
> sendfile/writes.
>
> The main advantage is half the number of inodes and that by removing
> one file you get rid of both the header and body. I suspect that the
> performance gain is minimal though.

Hmmm... will have to look at this again.

Regards,
Graham