httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r467655 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES docs/manual/mod/mod_cache.xml modules/cache/mod_cache.c modules/cache/mod_cache.h
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 17:47:52 GMT
On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 01:54:04PM -0300, Davi Arnaut wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
> > Another couple of hundred lines of code and even a new config directive,
> > and this still doesn't get close to actually fixing the problem! -1
> > already, this code is just not getting better.  mod_disk_cache is still
> > liable to eat all your RAM in that apr_bucket_read() loop, the
> > apr_bucket_split() is not guaranteed to work for a morphing bucket type.
> >
> > It is simple enough to fix this problem without adding all this code and
> > without all the stuff in r450105 too, something like the below.
> >

> And you almost got it right. We don't want to stop caching if the
> client's connection fail

...a simple enough change.

> and we must not slow the caching because of a slow client (that's why
> I didn't pass the brigade).

There is no other acceptable solution AFAICS.  Buffering the entire
brigade (either to disk, or into RAM as the current code does) before
writing to the client is not OK, polling on buckets is not possible,
using threads is not OK, using non-blocking writes up the output filter
chain is not possible.  Any other ideas?

Regards,

joe