httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henrik Nordstrom <...@squid-cache.org>
Subject Re: mod_disk_cache summarization
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2006 22:21:03 GMT
fre 2006-10-27 klockan 23:33 +0200 skrev Graham Leggett:

> A second approach could involve the use of the Etags associated with
> file responses, which in the case of files served off disk (as I
> understand it) are generated based on inode number and various other
> uniquely file specific information.

How ETag:s is generated is extremely server dependent, and not
guaranteed to be unique across different URLs. You can not at all count
on two files having the same ETag but different URLs to be the same
file, unless you also is responsible for the server providing all the
URLs in question and know that the server guarantees this behavior of
ETag beyond what the HTTP specification says.

Regards
Henrik