httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <gwhulb...@eol.ca>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [users@httpd] Killing apache child processes and logging (how to stop serving request?)]
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 11:25:16 GMT
On Wed, 2006-11-10 at 13:51 +0300, Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
> Sometimes I need to kill an apache child process serving large file
> before
> request is completed. I run "kill -SIGTERM HTTPD_PID", the child dies
> and
> transfer is stopped but nothing is written in access log.

I don't know the answer to your question specifically for apache but for
many unix daemons, the 'HUP' (hang-up) signal is implemented as a clean
shutdown.

Incidentally, your "-SIGTERM" is redundant on most unices as that is
normally the default for 'kill'.

I would try "kill -HUP" (or "-SIGHUP" if it insists) ... and then check
the man pages :-) ... etc ...

--
--gh