httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Trawick" <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r440337 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ include/ modules/arch/netware/ modules/experimental/ modules/generators/ modules/http/ modules/mappers/ modules/proxy/ modules/ssl/ server/ server/mpm/beos/ server/mpm/experimental/event/ server/mpm
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 22:18:57 GMT
On 9/5/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Brian Akins wrote:
> > Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> >
> >> 1. If we stick to
> >>
> >> AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version(void);
> >>
> >> and do
> >>
> >> #define ap_get_server_banner ap_get_server_version
> >

> > I hate macros.  Just do it like:
> >
> > AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_banner() {
> >     return ap_get_server_version();
> > }
> >
> > That way, it gets a symbol rather than disappearing after compile.
>
> If we do that, we break backwards compatibility that otherwise existed
> back to 2.0.44 for anyone who uses the new symbol.

I assume he intended

AP_DECLARE(const char *) ap_get_server_version() {
   return ap_get_server_banner();
}

> I'd skip the idea of backporting; there's no way to do this and still
> retain this backwards module compatibility across minor versions.

With the 3 lines above there wouldn't be any compatibility issues...

> Let's just move on 2.4.0 at our first opportunity.

shrug (I'm too out of the loop to recall which interesting features
are in the pipeline and don't have a natural way to fit into 2.2.x)