httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Edmundsson <>
Subject Re: mod_cache responsibilities vs mod_xxx_cache provider responsibilities
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:39:43 GMT
On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Davi Arnaut wrote:

>> OK. You seem to dump the body right after the headers though, so you won't
>> be able to do header rewrites.
> Could you kindly point me to the cache code that rewrites only the headers ?

If I remember correctly the code in 2.2.3 only does whole-file
revalidation, the next logical step (that our patch does) is to make
it understand that if the source file hasn't changed you don't have to
copy the whole file since it's enough to just update the headers.

Our patch does this, because it's needed to get decent performance
when juggling dvd images (yes, recaching a 4GB file is rather

There are a couple of trivial improvements like this that needs to be
done in mod_disk_cache that depends on the underlying disk storage
layer "done right". However, given the current state of mod_disk_cache
almost everything is an improvement...

>> Also, it's rather unneccessary to call the files ".cache" if there are only
>> one type of files ;)
> That's convenience, there may be other type of files on the same cache
> directory that are created by other tools.

That seems silly to me, the cache directory structure should be
strictly private to the cache.

  Niklas Edmundsson, Admin @ {acc,hpc2n}      |
  "You have learned much, young one." - Vader

View raw message