httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Plüm, Rüdiger, VF EITO <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject Re: load balancer and http(s) sticky sessions
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:33:40 GMT

Yes, but if we keep the state at the server we need to build up a different
infrastructure there. We need to have a session cache there that is shared
across the processes and we need to do locking on it. To be honest
I wouldnt't like that. I like the approach we currently have.

> What happens today when a request arrives with cookie value.tomcat1
> and tomcat1 is out of commission? It gets routed to tomcat2, right?

Yes and tomcat2 updates the cookie in its response such that the next
request goes to tomcat2. This is easy with cookies as you can do this
also as a response to a POST request whereas POST requests and URL
rewriting get hard in this situation.

Regards

Rüdiger