httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Henk Fictorie <henk.ficto...@kpn.com>
Subject Re: upgrade apr(-util) 0.9.7 -> 0.9.12 hangs Apache 2.0.59 SSL server
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:00:16 GMT

I just recompiled Apache 2.0.59, using the 0.9.7 apr(-util) which is the
version supplied with Apache 2.0.55.
This results in a working system. I can kill -9 an apache process and the
webserver will respond normally. The master process willl create a new
apache process.
I  conclude that somewhere in the changes towards apr(-util) 0.9.12 the
error is introlduced.
We will continue using apr(-util) 0.9.7

regards Henk Fictorie

Henk Fictorie wrote:

> I did some more research on our test environment. We don't have that much
> traffic in there, but I was able to reproduce the problem with manual
> actions.
>
> The culprit seems to be our setting
>
> AcceptMutex pthread
>
> With Apache 2.0.59:
>
> If I kill -9 the listener process, no new listener process is created.
> This causes requests to hang, only a server restart will help.
>
> If I disable the AcceptMutex setting (defaults to fcntl) and kill -9 the
> listener process, a new listener process is created. The webserver
> continues to function normally.
>

> With Apache 2.0.55
> Our current production webserver is 2.0.55. The webserver is started on
> August 14th. The listener process is dated August 21th. I conclude that
> with Apache 2.0.55 the listener process is restarted after it dies.
>
> We can probably change the AcceptMutex setting to fcntl. I don't know what
> kind of performance penalty this will have...
>

> Joshua Slive-2 wrote:
>>
>> On 8/28/06, Henk Fictorie <henk.fictorie@kpn.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We tried to upgrade our Apache server from 2.0.55 to 2.0.59. For HTTP
>>> traffic this was successful. However for HTTPS the server would hang
>>> after a
>>> couple of hours (serveral hundred thousands request). Our HTTP and HTTPS
>>> servers are different unix processes.
>>>
>>> Nothing is logged in the error logfiles, the server just stops to accept
>>> new
>>> connections.
>>> When I try to connect to the server with the openssl command, I get the
>>> CONNECTED message, but the SSL handshake does not take place.
>>
>> Here's instructions on how to debug hung servers:
>> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#backtrace
>>
>> Joshua.

Sent from the Apache HTTP Server - Dev forum at Nabble.com.