httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy and balancer problems
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:55:07 GMT

On 09/29/2006 06:28 PM, Joost de Heer wrote:
>> I tend to say that
>>
>> disabled means: Take requests if their routing information matches
>> mine but
>>                 no other ones.
>> stopped means: Take no requests at all.
>> enabled means: Take all requests.
>

> Wouldn't 'standby' be a better name for the functionality you described
> as 'disabled'? IMO 'disabled' means 'never use, not startable', and
> 'stopped' means 'don't use in this state, startable via admin interface'.

Which does not match with the current implementation:

You can change between enable / disable over the admin interface but not between
stopped / not stopped.
I do not bother what it is called, but I think we should have names for the 3
cases I described above. And we should be able to set the status bit
for 'enable/disable' 'stopped/not stopped' via the admin interface to be able
to do such things like a graceful shutdown of a worker or what had been called
a 'local worker' in mod_jk ages ago.

Regards

RĂ¼diger